Monday, October 30, 2006

No halt couture

I think people should lay off muslim women, about whether they wear the hijab, niqab or burka. This is a free country, and people should be allowed to wear what they like - even if it's nothing at all. Wearing cultural apparel gives people a sense of belonging, inclusiveness, and identity. Goths, Sikhs, Muslims, Weegees, Punks - all have their own tribal outfit to distinguish them in a crowd. But you can't tell someone's character just based on the way they dress. Everybody is an individual, and you have to get to know them before you can make judgements.
I'm Scottish. The cultural costume for Scots men is the kilt. Now I don't have a kilt, and I haven't worn one since I was 14. But if society said they didn't want to see Scottish men wearing kilts, I would go out and get one, and wear it, just to show my solidarity with my fellow countrymen, and to annoy those who disapproved.
Disapproval of the niqab is turning it from a symbol of subjugation into a symbol of empowerment for muslim women.
Banning stuff stirs up the rebel in us all.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

hi--
just wanted you to see my new "lens"--
http://www.squidoo.com/katelovingshenk

thanks--enjoy your blog--

kate loving shenk