Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Boiling Point

It has been confirmed. Us Scottish nurses are getting the full 2.5% pay award up front, on the dot, in April. English nurses will have to wait until November for the second part of their staged award. I bet Gordon Brown is fizzing. This really puts the pressure on him to do the same down south. I would expect the RCN and Unison to seriously turn up the heat in their campaign for a fair wage. The message to the Government should be clear : If you can't pay the staff, you can't have your targets met!
It would make our life simpler. We could concentrate on patient care without having to bother about ticking the Government's boxes. Target the targets, not the patients!

3 comments:

Amy Paige said...

Fantastic! I am glad that the nurses there are getting what I'm sure is a much deserved and needed raise. As far as being left out of the news, here in the U.S. we have our news resources maxed out bringing the latest on Britney's rehab and Angelina's adoptions, also I think there is a war or something somewhere. Pathetic, isn't it? The powers that be do their best to keep us distracted and busy buying the latest cell-phones.

Interrobang said...

Congratulations! :)

Nurses here are overworked and underpaid, too, which never fails to bother me whenever I'm in hospital. Do you work 12-hour shifts, too? I'm an old occupational health and safety geek, and the fact that nurses here work 12-hour shifts sends chills down my spine. I've seen the stats on job-related accidents in workers who work long shifts in demanding jobs, and they aren't pretty.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on two counts then!

First, the pay. W00T!

Second, you are the winner of the Green Green Hills of Earth contest at UDoJ!

No rush on the guest post, though. Whenever you get it done.

There'll be a new poetry contest up later today.

Kisses Deacon Barry!

Janie