Monday, April 09, 2007

Stand and deliver

What's the most expensive postage in Britain? I believe I have a candidate. The Royal Infirmary of Edinburgh portering services are run by Haden. The other day, a colleague sent a prescription to pharmacy. She was told it would cost £36 for it to be delivered to the ward! That's from one end of the building to the other. You could get the same package delivered to the other end of the country for under a pound.
What I don't understand is how Haden calculate that £36 is a fair and equitable rate to charge for one person to carry a small package weighing not much more than a packet of crisps for the ten minutes maximum it takes to walk from one end of the hospital to the other. That works out at a rate of £216 per hour. Nice work if you can get it. I must be in the wrong profession.

3 comments:

Bo... said...

Sheesh, me too!

Kim said...

Ummmmm....where do I apply! : D

Interrobang said...

Hah, if the courier gets £3.60 of that, I'd be very surprised. Now, if you wanted to be the CEO of Haden, you'd be in like Flynn.